Coffee Break Writing Exercises!




LIFE gets in the way of your writing plans! We've had lots of things going on at the house, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped writing! Here's another crack at a writing Exercise!

Words I had to use in the context of the story were: Cappuccino, spoil, fat, pipe, exploit, fluffy, burial and aid.

We sat in our winter coats, sipping the overly hot cappucinos watching the rain as it tapped against the coffee shop window, causing the paper newstand to spoil. Outside the busy clatter of feet on the street and voices trailing off into the distance was heard. Inside the coffee house the customers stood in lines and ordered their no fat lattes and cappuccinos. The characteristic hiss of the pipe could be heard, busily working on the next brew, as we sat and looked at each other, letting the sounds of the cafe around us fall away.

“Did you think you could exploit my love for coffee?” she said flirtatiously, putting her hands through her chestnut coloured hair, revealing the fullness of her stunning chocolate brown eyes. Her coffee partner was slightly taken by this, but he regained his cool.
“A fluffy little bird told me you liked coffee” he said, looking at her more directly now, full of daydreams at the contours of her face. Carolyn loved the attention, and she leant forward and looked more closely at her partner.

“Well let me give that secret a proper burial...” she said cryptically
“... I don’t like coffee as much my friends they say. I came here because I knew you knew I liked coffee. I would have gone water skiing if I knew you were there!”
“I... um... well I kind of... um...” Brett said, looking for the aid of some word or phrase. “...Do you not want your cappuccino then?...um, I mean... we... we could go somewhere else if you’d like?” Brett recovered.
Carolyn was endeared more and more by his increasingly flustered manner, and she reached out her slender hand to rest on his slightly trembling ones.
“It’s okay” she said reassuringly “A cappuccino won’t spoil this date”. She said, looking into his timid eyes
Brett smiled despite his temerity. “Even a full fat one?” he said jokingly
“Don’t push it!” she continued in playful exchange.
Over the cafe speakers the calming sound of panpipes could be heard, occasionally lifting over the hubbub of the customers and the noise on the street beyond.
Brett looked at Carolyn and a thought occured to him.
“Do you have a love for muffins I could exploit then?” He said.
“Of course!”said Carolyn. She leaned in, and in a mock whisper said “Blueberry muffins are my kryptonite”.
Brett got up immediately and walked up to the waiting line of customers, occasionally looking back at Carolyn with a sheepish smile, which she returned, and he looked at the muffins lined up in a staggered array under the glass counter- each beautifully fluffy with their brown peaks poking up like round mountains of deliciousness. In the lines ahead he heard the news of someone’s burial and how ‘such-and-such had to come to the aid of a grieving widow’. These things sometimes would disturb such a sensitive heart like Brett, but nothing could harm his day today - He was on top of the world, sitting next to a gorgeous woman, drinking cappucino.

No, nothing could spoil this moment.

How did I do? Be honest!

Comments